"Year of the Adopted Family" book release

Friday, January 9, 2009

Utah First Friday: Passing out Postcards to People


Thanks to Kevin Martin and Norene Jensen for giving permission to post their picture from the Utah First Friday event.

I rushed to the Utah First Friday event, which was a monthly gathering of business owners and entrepreneurs, as I wanted to pass out "Family Famine: Hunger for Love" postcards.

I asked permission of Kevin Martin, the director of Utah First Friday, if passing out the postcards would be allowed. He is also over the Salt Lake Small Business Development Center and the Miller Business Innovation Center.

He granted permission.

Utah First Friday begins the first hour with networking as well as nibbling on breakfast foods. The last hour always spotlights a speaker so that us entrepreneurs could improve our skills. When the speaker ended, I positioned myself by the door. Everyone would have to exit that way.

I had my wooden bowl filled with postcards and I gave them to people as they went by with such sayings as "This would be great for your colleagues and employees to celebrate."

I passed out about 40 postcards.

Then I peaked into the room when the crowd thinned. A couple people were chatting in the room.

I recognized one of the ladies: Norene Jensen.

I quickened my walk to her as she is a fellow storyteller. She was part of the Utah Storytelling Guild as well as Toastmasters.

We talked for about an hour on various topics, though most of the time was on the "Family Famine: Hunger for Love". She expressed great interest in the program and promised she would attend. We talked about the importance of stories that address child abuse and abandonment, though the sharing of such stories is best when the audience leaves the place with hope.

Norene and I discovered that we needed to hang out more often, as the times we saw each other most was at these Utah First Friday events.

Until we tell again,

Rachel Hedman
Professional Storyteller
Former Co-Chair of Youth, Educators, and Storytellers Alliance (2005-2008)
Tel: (801) 870-5799
Email: info@rachelhedman.com
Performance Blog: http://familyfamine.blogspot.com
Other places to find me: Twitter, YouTube, Facebook, LinkedIn, Professional Storyteller

No comments: