"Year of the Adopted Family" book release

Friday, December 5, 2008

Utah First Friday: Sing through Noise in 60 Seconds


Whenever possible, I like to attend the Utah First Fridays, which are monthly gathering of business owners and entrepreneurs.

Usually I am the only storyteller so it catches people off guard when they ask me what I do.

Twice a year there are exhibits. As my posters and postcards were not done yet for the premiere, reserving a table seemed a waste. However, I did provide a prize for the drawing.

Any prizes needed to have at least $25+ in value. Though the Covey Center for the Arts is the only place allowed to sell tickets, I do have authority to give a few away as long as I give them the details. I decided to have four tickets ($40 value) plus a fruit basket. Since it is called "Family Famine: Hunger for Love", thought the fruit added a nice touch plus then they could enjoy the food while anxiously awaiting the premiere.

Part of the benefit of giving a prize is the 60 seconds given to the sponsor.

In my imagination, I pictured at least 100 or more business people all at rapt attention as the drawings were called out. The number was right but not the silence!

Due to the booths, people were chatting even during the drawings and the 60-seconds that people shared about their companies, products, or events.

Luckily, I had already decided that 30 of my 60 seconds would go towards singing the lullaby in "The Gardener's Wife" story. I thought about telling a snippet of a tale, but that may still seem similar to the regular talk shared by other people. I doubted anyone else would sing.

I was right.

Though there was quite a bit of chatter for other people's time announcing, it did quiet the most with me. I did not even give an introduction. I took the microphone and sang. I figured to get their attention first and then talk.

As a storyteller, I know that a list of facts will not get me anywhere. Stories bring emotions and songs are a level of storytelling.

I gave some of the details of the "Family Famine: Hunger for Love" premiere and then gave the prize away. Afterward, I was pleased that people came up to me and complimented me on my singing. One lady became interested in joining the Utah Storytelling Guild. That alone made it worth it.

Though I did not have any posters or postcards yet, I did create make-shift business cards only on the event. I am confident that some people will attend the premiere from these cards.

***As a side note, I met a man named Clayton Rand from United Bank Card who showed me a credit and debit card processing system as small as a cellphone with a printer for the receipt about the same size. The picture above is when this small device on the right while the regular size is on the left.

Clayton can be reached at (801) 897-8911 or at claytonrand@gmail.com.
"Family Famine: Hunger for Love" will tour and it will be nice to have a portable device to sell DVD copies of the premiere as well as any other storytelling merchandise. It is too late to add to the Christmas list, but eventually I will have something like that device. As of now, it costs $225. If you contact Clayton, please mention my name and say "hi" for me!

Until we tell again,

Rachel Hedman
Professional Storyteller
Former Co-Chair of Youth, Educators, and Storytellers Alliance (2005-2008)
Tel: (801) 870-5799
Email: info@rachelhedman.com
Performance Blog: http://familyfamine.blogspot.com
Other places to find me: Twitter, YouTube, Facebook, LinkedIn, Professional Storyteller

No comments: