"Year of the Adopted Family" book release

Monday, January 5, 2009

Posters: Finding the Print Shop with Pizazz


Though my "Save the Date" postcards were printed, there were still posters for the "Family Famine: Hunger for Love" premiere to produce.

I had to find a company other than PrintsMadeEasy.com to print the posters. That online company specialized in postcards and business cards.

This time I wanted to choose a local print shop so I could easily drive to the place and authorize the coloring before the mass printing. My posters needed to have the light blue background and not the blue-purple as what happened with the postcards.

If the print shop had a listing online but no website, then I automatically crossed them off my list.

Finally, I discovered Bell Printing and Design.

As I scoured the website, I looked for hints that Bell Printing was a print shop and not a copy center. Higher quality would most likely be at a print shop where heavier and more expensive equipment filled the building.

My trip to Belling Printing and Design happened to be on a slippery and snow-filled day. The drive was a little dangerous, but I made it into the driveway without a scratch.

I brought a poster I liked from a different storytelling event to show what I wanted for the premiere posters. As I was unaware of print shop lingo, then the workers could "translate".

While waving the poster I said, "I like thick and heavy paper with a glossy front".

Bell Printing and Design interpreted this to mean "I like 11 X 17 posters with Blue White Carolina C1S Cover Ultra Light 94 12pt, Digital Press on 1 side".

I asked for a quote on 100 posters. It would be $72.50.

I had budgeted one hundred dollars for the posters so I happy to have an extra $27.50 to apply to another area for the premiere.

I insisted on a color check before all 100 posters would be printed. Fortunately, there was no extra charge for this service.

I knew the printing would take a few business days, but I was excited to see the results.

Until we tell again,

Rachel Hedman
Professional Storyteller
Former Co-Chair of Youth, Educators, and Storytellers Alliance (2005-2008)
Tel: (801) 870-5799
Email: info@rachelhedman.com
Performance Blog: http://familyfamine.blogspot.com
Other places to find me: Twitter, YouTube, Facebook, LinkedIn, Professional Storyteller

No comments: