"Year of the Adopted Family" book release

Saturday, December 27, 2008

"Forsaken Brother": Drawing Story Characters to Life


The paper, colored pencils and sharpeners were placed on the table.

Then I took the piles of Ojibwa culture books, mostly from the Juvenile Literature section, and flipped through the pages. These books are wonderful as they tend to have more pictures so to spark the imagination.

If I saw a person who looked like how I pictured the characters in the "Forsaken Brother" story, then I placed a post-it to mark the page.

None of the drawings were traced. They were done free-hand.

I started with the scenery. The story begins during summer, about an hour before sunset. If you look to the left, you can see their lodge, also called a wigwam.

Then I drew the family members in order of age.

The Father--



























The Mother--




























The Sister--




























The Brother--




























The Boy--




























These drawings are for my benefit. The characters are more real and I see them as my friends. I may not be the best artist, but maybe this family will be more real to you, too.

Until we tell again,

Rachel Hedman
Professional Storyteller
Former Co-Chair of Youth, Educators, and Storytellers Alliance (2005-2008)
Tel: (801) 870-5799
Email: info@rachelhedman.com
Performance Blog: http://familyfamine.blogspot.com
Other places to find me: Twitter, YouTube, Facebook, LinkedIn, Professional Storyteller

No comments: