"Year of the Adopted Family" book release

Friday, December 26, 2008

Premiere Pins: Sticking out in the Crowd


As the "Family Famine: Hunger for Love" premiere will be the Monday after the Timpanogos Storytelling Conference, I will think outside the box on how to advertise.

I had checked to see if I could have a booth, but the conference was limited to the number of tables. They did plan to reserve a table so that storytellers could place their business cards on it. My postcards could go at this table, but it was even questionable if I could have a poster on an easel in case I took too much room.

If it was about the money, I was willing to pay for a table. It seemed the conference did not work in that way.

Since my premiere was not officially connected to the conference, I also could not had a flier in the folder given to all registrants.

I was allowed to give out business cards. If such an act was permitted, then perhaps I could also give out pins that mentioned the premiere on one side and the other side had all the basic information like place, time, tickets, etc.

Friends could help me pass out pins, too.

I would want to make 200 pins due to the attendance I had seen in the past for the Timpanogos Storytelling Conference. In many ways, I had to treat advertising at the conference much as if it was a fringe.

I headed to Hobby Lobby and walked up and down aisles to see what ideas may be triggered on what materials to even use for the pins.

When I came to the unfinished wood aisle, I paused.

I found wooden hearts and tiny bowls. I liked the idea of using wood, though I tossed around the idea of using fun foam. The wooden bowls could be glued on the lower right of the heart. Red fun foam cut in circles could be glued in the bowls to be the soup, while a white marker could make a heart and some steam from the bowl.

If I used wood for the heart and bowl, then it would have a nicer quality and people may even keep them as a memento as well as a reminder.

The wooden hearts could be painted light blue. Then clear mailing labels could print the "Family Famine: Hunger for Love" logo on the front. Another clear mailing label would list the basic information on the back.

Any leftover pins from the conference could be given to the first people to arrive at the premiere.

Besides the pins, I thought of other fun ways to grab people's attention. At baby showers, I had seen people take a candy bar and cover it with their own wrapper that said something like "It's a Boy!" or "It's a Girl!". The same idea could be used for my premiere. As the wooden bowl with the tomato soup was a key image in the logo, then I could create a label to go around a can of soup.

This could work. . .but not for the conference. If I had 200 cans of soup, that would be heavy.

I think I will stick with the pins.

Until we tell again,

Rachel Hedman
Professional Storyteller
Former Co-Chair of Youth, Educators, and Storytellers Alliance (2005-2008)
Tel: (801) 870-5799
Email: info@rachelhedman.com
Performance Blog: http://familyfamine.blogspot.com
Other places to find me: Twitter, YouTube, Facebook, LinkedIn, Professional Storyteller

No comments: