"Year of the Adopted Family" book release

Monday, September 8, 2008

Story not to be used


When I find the word "famine" in my everyday readings, I pause and wonder how this might influence the kinds of stories I share for the "Family Famine: Hunger for Love" narrative production.

If nothing else, I am reminded that many cultures--whether or not directly related to my own--have stories that call for rain so that there will not be famine upon the land.

While reading my scriptures (Book of Helaman, chapters 10 and 11) I found a story that, despite its meaning to me, will not be used in this program. It is too close to my culture and so far I can only think it appropriate to develop for a youth group in my church. I would like to find a similar story from another culture with the viewpoint of a family and how they get through such adversity. How does the disaster affect their relationship with each other--whether for good or for ill?

Besides the obvious reference to famine in the story, I also thought about the similarities to 9/11 in relation to the Gadianton Robbers that hid in the mountains. The threat of terrorism is not new.

Above all, the threat to the family is not new.

Until we tell again,

Rachel Hedman
Professional Storyteller
Co-Chair of Youth, Educators, and Storytellers Alliance
Tel: (801) 870-5799
Email: info@rachelhedman.com
Performance Blog: http://familyfamine.blogspot.com

No comments: