"Year of the Adopted Family" book release

Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Storytelling within KBYU TV & Family Reality Show


I was not surprised when I read, "BYU is home to the nation's largest collection of family scholars" in the Deseret News article BYU is launching family reality show on September 23, 2008 written by Tad Walch.

This "Real Families, Real Answers" show is another reason amongst many others that persuaded me to premiere the "Family Famine: Hunger for Love" on the BYU campus.

See a shout-out for families needed for the show--


At the same time, KBYU Television is working on a major production focused on family history, which is much like a sequel to "The Call of Story" that they did in partnership with PBS.

An excerpt from "The Call of Story" with Syd Lieberman--


With the support for both families and storytelling, a narrative production seems perfect in Utah.

As university faculty will be involved with the reality show, then these are the people who could encourage their students to attend and even list my piece as part of the syllabi. These would also be the kind of people I could approach about a workshop preceding the event about family archetypes in folklore and what that means to us today.

By next week I plan to have a visit to the BYU campus, meet some of these professors, visit the KBYU station, and check out booking prices for theatres. Finding the people to contact is only a phone call away.

The George S. and Dolores Dore' Eccles Foundation funded "The Call of Story" project so a visit with them is also in order.

Until we tell again,

Rachel Hedman
Professional Storyteller
Co-Chair of Youth, Educators, and Storytellers Alliance
Tel: (801) 870-5799
Email: info@rachelhedman.com
Performance Blog: http://familyfamine.blogspot.com
Other places to find me: Twitter, YouTube, Facebook, LinkedIn, Professional Storyteller

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree that BYU has the largest density of family scholars. I've heard they also have the highest amount of dentists per capita. Utah can be a strange place!

Professional Storyteller Rachel Hedman said...

Dear BYU Campus:

I grew up in Wisconsin so sometimes the "strangeness" of Utah stands out a little more. Luckily, it's a good "strangeness".

By the way, I enjoy your "Y Secrets" blog at http://www.ysecrets.com.

I wish I would have known those things while I was still there. At least my occasional visits allow me to put some of those ideas to use!

Until we tell again,

Rachel Hedman