"Year of the Adopted Family" book release

Friday, November 14, 2008

The Big Revelation during Lipman's Coaching


Every year is the Utah Storytelling Guild Story Swap where members from all chapters "talk stories" and are taught workshops.

This year we were privileged to have Doug Lipman.

From marketing to storytelling techniques to coaching, Lipman shared so much information for us to apply to our goals in the art. Eventually, he asked for volunteers in regards to coaching on marketing/niche. My hand shot up and I was thrilled when I could go before the other Utah Storytelling Guild members and share my plans so far.

I was unsure what types of questions Doug may ask me nor did I know how much background everyone would need for the coaching to be productive.

I rattled off the marketing ideas already in place such as having "Save the Date" postcards sent, the use of this blog to record my journey on the project, the existence of the Facebook group, etc. I did not realize that because the marketing side was clearest to me for this project, I really needed coaching on the story development and confidence.

This became apparent as I shared one of my great fears: Am I a fake?

Tears fell as I shared with my fellow storytellers that I did not want to go upon the stage on February 9th and feel like I failed everyone including myself. I have built such high expectations on this premiere.

I may be ambitious and resolute about some things in life, though I am greatly affected by how others perceive me.

In some ways, I felt upset at crying because I knew that it is better to focus on the positive as has been taught by my friend, Carol Esterreicher, through Neuro-Linguistic Programming (NLP) of creating the "Circle of Excellence."

The "Circle of Excellence" is a concept in which you step in and out of an imaginary circle that represents the perfect performance. Each entrance into the circle means a different sense to trigger happy memories whether through calming visuals, encouraging sounds, or even stimulating smells.

Yet, even with this knowlegdge, I pictured silence as people left the theatre disappointed. These negative images I had to erase if my "creative intelligence", a term that Lipman uses, will emerge and grow.

This coaching time reminded me of the need to plan my story development as fervently--if not more--than what I am dedicating to the marketing aspects.

Thankfully, I received several offers for rehearsal buddies as well as people who said they will definitely attend.

Even the Utah Storytelling Guild Timp Tellers Chapter president, April Johnson, offered for the December meeting to give some time for me to share pieces of my project so as to receive group coaching. As I attend the Olympus and the Ben Lomond chapters, this was especially moving for me.

This means I will aim for the beginning of January to be quite solid with the "Family Famine: Hunger for Love" program. Then I can have some practice runs and receive audience reactions before the big premiere.

Thank you to Doug Lipman and the Utah Storytelling Guild for opening my eyes to what I need at this time.

Until we tell again,

Rachel Hedman
Professional Storyteller
Former Co-Chair of Youth, Educators, and Storytellers Alliance (2005-2008)
Tel: (801) 870-5799
Email: info@rachelhedman.com
Performance Blog: http://familyfamine.blogspot.com
Other places to find me: Twitter, YouTube, Facebook, LinkedIn, Professional Storyteller

No comments: