"Year of the Adopted Family" book release

Wednesday, October 15, 2008

A Picture is worth 1,000 Stories

From left to right (8-year-old brother Nate, 10-year-old "big sister" Rachel, and 3-year-old sister Care).

I glanced at the bookshelf and my eyes rested on the brown Photo Album that held pictures from the first camera I owned.

Flipping through the pages brought back memories faster than reading through the journals and diaries I kept as a six-year-old, seven-year-old, and older. Perhaps reading what a six-year-old has to say is vague regardless of the topic.

Then surprise of all surprises--I took pictures out of the sleeves and discovered that each one had at least one or two handwritten lines on the back.

As a kid I was smart enough to do so, though I have not kept that habit as an adult. In fact, with all the digital pictures, rarely do I print out hard copies so notes could be kept on them.

I will be studying these pictures more over the next few days to see what stories come to mind that would work for "Family Famine: Hunger for Love".

As for the picture and my hand-written description, this is when my family picked me up after a week at Girl Scouts camp. Though part of my brother Nate's head got cut off, it is still one of my favorites. I may have been the oldest sister though they still could miss me when I was away. (And, of course, I missed them.)

Until we tell again,

Rachel Hedman
Professional Storyteller
Co-Chair of Youth, Educators, and Storytellers Alliance
Tel: (801) 870-5799
Email: info@rachelhedman.com
Performance Blog: http://familyfamine.blogspot.com
Other places to find me: Twitter, YouTube, Facebook, LinkedIn, Professional Storyteller

1 comment:

Brother Wolf said...

Well - Rachel
Your kind comment is deeply touching. Essentially your talking about the core idea of what is marketing? Is marketing where you intrude on other peoples time and space until you drive them nuts? or is marketing becoming a source that people seek out in good and bad times?

Creating a series of cd's, mp3 files, books or DVD's prevents you from going back to square one with each sale. Here buy this storytelling CD - look at that - here is the next one in the set. Liked the first one - wait till you see what happens next! Leverage the power of storytelling in your favor - we are storytellers remember?
Peace
Eric Wolf

http://www.ericwolf.org

PS: You know why it's better to be a storyteller then a movie director?
- no budget restrictions in your imagination.