"Year of the Adopted Family" book release

Saturday, November 29, 2008

Road Trip for a Book: The Storyteller's Sourcebook


I explore several libraries with my most regular stops with the Salt Lake County Libraries and the Davis County Libraries.

Living in Layton, the Central Branch of Davis County is the closest one to me at about 10 minutes from my home whereas I tend to find the best selection at the Whitmore Branch of the Salt Lake County Library system after a 45-minute drive.

I assumed that the Central Branch would have a copy of the coveted book "The Storyteller's Sourcebook: A Subject, Title, and Motif Index to Folklore Collections for Children 1983-1999" edited by Margaret Read MacDonald and Brian W. Sturm.

There were some pages I needed to continue my research on possible opening stories for my premiere. I aimed for the Reference Juvenile Literature section as that was where I found it at the Weber County Library on November 19th. It was not there. I checked the computer to be sure. There was not a copy at any of the seven branches of the Davis County Library system!

I glanced at my watch. It was 5:35pm. The Weber County Library closed at 6:00pm on Saturdays.

I ran to my car and drove as fast as I could knowing it would take from 20-25 minutes to drive depending on traffic.

I forgot about the Christmas parade.

The road that headed east and usually taken to the library was closed due to the parade.

I headed more north, looking to east at every intersection to see if this part of the street was open. No luck. I wondered aloud, "How long is this parade?!"

By this time it was 5:53pm.

Finally, I saw where the parade ended and zoomed until I saw the blessed building: Weber County Library.

I did not care that I parked crooked. I was here. I bolted for the doors. I knew exactly where this book was and grabbed it from the shelf.

Then the copier had to be. . .temperamental (to put it nicely).

After a few battles and asking for a librarian's help, I made the copies of the pages in the book that listed all the motif codes in connection to family and folklore.

If you read a previous post, you may wonder I did not make copies of these pages as the book was in my hands on November 19th. My response would be "Why do we do or not do things?" Sometimes there is not a clear answer.

Yet I had the copies now and felt more prepared to find the opening story for the "Family Famine: Hunger for Love" premiere.

Until we tell again,

Rachel Hedman
Professional Storyteller
Former Co-Chair of Youth, Educators, and Storytellers Alliance (2005-2008)
Tel: (801) 870-5799
Email: info@rachelhedman.com
Performance Blog: http://familyfamine.blogspot.com
Other places to find me: Twitter, YouTube, Facebook, LinkedIn, Professional Storyteller

No comments: