"Year of the Adopted Family" book release

Thursday, November 27, 2008

Joshua Payne: Future Guitarist for the Teller


Thanks to the Daniel Day Trio for granting permission to post their picture.
(Left to right: Dave Bowen, Joshua Payne, and Daniel Day.)





Two months ago I talked with Clive Romney about the "Family Famine: Hunger for Love" narrative production and how I imagined a musician, perhaps a guitarist, to accompany me during the story "Forsaken Brother", an Ojibwa tale.


He asked for an impromptu telling of tale, which I did, and then gave his recommendation: Joshua Payne.

The whole Payne family is musically inclined with Marvin Payne, the father, being the most famous as folksinger and actor. Marvin had been nicknamed "The Troubadour" with all his masterpieces.

His sons quickly turned to rhythm and cadence.

One of his sons, Sam Payne, performed at the Timpanogos Storytelling Festival with guitar at the knee and later collaborated with Clive Romney, Nancy Hanson, and Tammy Robinson for the performing arts show that combined song, storytelling, dance and even quilting in "The Ghosts of Gardner Village".

Another of Marvin's sons, Joshua Payne, who has also played at the Timpanogos Storytelling Festival, joined his guitar talents with Daniel Day on drums and Dave Bowen on bass as part of the Daniel Day Trio. This group specializes in 80s, Contemporary, Jazz, and Neu-Jazz and original pieces upon request.

I called Joshua and left a message on his voice mail. I noticed that the Daniel Day Trio would perform at a restaurant about 20 minutes away from where I lived. Luckily, Joshua called back so I could let him know my plans to hear his group play and to introduce myself at the end.

I invited my neighbor, Teresa Cutler, to join me to hear the Daniel Day Trio as well as to enjoy some Japanese cuisine at the Tona Sushi.

Though I was able to hear some clips of music online from them, nothing replaces going in-person. The three musicians swung to the rhythms and grooves so that I found myself tapping my feet and nodding my head.

Afterward, I gave Joshua a copy of the "Forsaken Brother" story so he could see if it would be a story he would be inspired to create sound effects and songs. The printed version would not be the presented piece on stage. At least Joshua had somewhere to start.

Joshua expressed, "I am extremely interested. Rarely do I get a chance for creative pieces and that is what I love the most."

He even suggested that a friend of his may also be interested in the project and asked if I would be open to that thought.

I was thrilled by the idea and have yet to hear if his friend truly would like to participate.

In the meantime, I am pleased that it is likely that Joshua Payne will be joining my venture with the "Family Famine: Hunger for Love" narrative production.

I called Clive Romney to thank him for the recommendation of Joshua Payne. Clive needed to know that I did remember though it had been two months to act upon it.

Until we tell again,

Rachel Hedman
Professional Storyteller
Former Co-Chair of Youth, Educators, and Storytellers Alliance (2005-2008)
Tel: (801) 870-5799
Email: info@rachelhedman.com
Performance Blog: http://familyfamine.blogspot.com
Other places to find me: Twitter, YouTube, Facebook, LinkedIn, Professional Storyteller

No comments: