"Year of the Adopted Family" book release

Saturday, August 23, 2008

A Venue--"This is the Right Place"


I announced the date and time (February 9, 2009 at 7:00pm) though I have yet to have a venue.
I pictured a beautiful theatre as can be found at the Brigham Young University campus. As I am an alumna, there are connections that the average person would not have in making arrangements. The picture is my mother and I standing outside the Gordon B. Hinckley Alumni and Visitors Center in November 2007.

I purposely scheduled the premiere close to the Timpanogos Storytelling Conference held in partnership with BYU's Department of Continuing Education. Anyone attending the conference could easily come to my narrative production/storytelling as a post-conference/send-off event.

Most of the event takes place at the Harman building also known as the BYU Conference Building. One of the storytelling concerts takes place in a room that has stadium seating, though my eye is on some of the theatres inside the Harris Fine Arts and Communications building (see layouts of each of the theatres). The Gerrit de Jong, Jr. Concert Hall is the "dream" place as it seats 1,268 people and many live high-quality recordings have been done of several major events. However, the Young Ambassadors have a performance on the February 5th so this may be more possible in 2010 or later.

You may wonder why I even considered the de Jong venue as it is not realistic--at least for the premiere. Yet to dream is an important part of storytelling. Then to act on it--that is the next important part. You may be surprised how close you get.


So now my sights are on one of two places: the Franklin and Florence Jepperson Madsen Recital Hall (seats 402 people) or the T. Earl and Kathryn Pardoe Drama Theatre (seats 509 people). If possible, I want Pardoe.

At this point I am not officially linked to the Timpanogos Storytelling Conference though I hope to be. As the Timpanogos Storytelling Festival is the Labor Day weekend, I am holding off my "negotiations" until the organizers can breathe again. I may put a buzz in their ear while I'm there running the Utah Storytelling Guild booth and attending the many amazing sessions.

Until we tell again,

Rachel Hedman
Professional Storyteller
Co-Chair of Youth, Educators, and Storytellers Alliance
(801) 870-5799
info@rachelhedman.com
http://www.rachelhedman.com
How-To Blog: http://storytellingadventures.blogspot.com
Performance Blog: http://familyfamine.blogspot.com

No comments: