"Year of the Adopted Family" book release

Friday, August 22, 2008

The Beginning--An Idea Formed


This has not been the first time that I tossed about the idea to create the narrative production "Family Famine: Hunger for Love". I have wrestled with the magnitude of this project since summer of 2005, especially as this will determine my next level as a professional storyteller and ultimately my legacy.

Part of my artist statement says, "I am exploring the strength of family relationships within the lives of historical, mythical, and personal heroes." Though that was written, I practically abandoned my intended exploration. . .until now.

You are welcome to join me on this journey and offer your comments and questions. The posts will be made almost daily and likely short compared to the how-to articles I write semi-monthly on my "Voice--A Storyteller's Lifestyle" blog.

From what I call "Random Rachel Ideas" (that Jimmy Neil Smith has placed the acronym RRI), you will see thoughts ranging from story ideas and transitions to the marketing of such a venture. You will receive almost a full picture of the research and the rehearsal needed to make something extraordinary.

Back to the Inspiration--
Ever since my cousin, Kristen Lorensen, mailed me the Ojibwa tale "Forsaken Brother", I have been intrigued by the presence of such stories of abuse and abandonment in other cultures and times including nowadays.

Kristen is known as the family history expert. She discovered that deep within our family bloodline we have some Ojibwa in us. (I am sure my blonde hair and blue eyes masks any of that background.) Knowing my love for stories, she determined that she could keep track of the names and dates of our family while I could explore the cultural stories that rise from each one.

As soon as I read "Forsaken Brother", I knew that this would be my anchor story--the story that would be in the middle of this "Family Famine: Hunger for Love" program. Finding what will go around it will be most of the development adventure.

At least I know the storytelling community is filled with wonderful mentors. Don Doyle, for one, will be hearing from me much more often.

Until we tell again,

Rachel Hedman
Professional Storyteller
Co-Chair of Youth, Educators, and Storytellers Alliance
(801) 870-5799
info@rachelhedman.com
http://www.rachelhedman.com
http://storytellingadventures.blogspot.com

2 comments:

Jo1day said...

Hey, Rachel.

Great idea for a blog and a continuing quest. I'm there with you 100% and I'll be watching and reading from now on (even though I may not always comment). Good luck and keep it up. I know that stories concerning family and the need for family are desperately needed in our times.

Tim said...

Rachel, congratulations on embarking on a new project, and thank you for being willing to share your artistic journey with us along the way! I'm looking forward to seeing what develops.