"Year of the Adopted Family" book release

Monday, October 27, 2008

Trek (4 of 7): Theatre & Visual Art as Story Cousins


I have never been in a play nor have I had any pieces showcased at a gallery.




This is four of seven posts relating to my info-gathering trek to BYU on October 21, 2008.

Regardless of how involved I am in Theatre and Media Arts or Visual Arts, these two fields are still my cousins and comrades in storytelling.

The Theatre and Media Arts (TMA) department often hosts a storytelling course, as is the case at Brigham Young University. Currently a new instructor, Teresa Love, teaches storytelling at BYU whom I am anxious to meet as her name is unfamiliar amongst the Utah Storytelling Guild circle.

I learned from the Dean of the TMA Department that the course tends to be offered almost every Fall and Winter semester, which meant one would be available during Winter Semester 2009. The inside of me cheered as my "Family Famine: Hunger for Love" narrative production occurs during Winter Semester on February 9, 2009.

The previous storytelling instructor, Karla Huntsman, moved to Nevada. She gave credit for those who participated in the BYU Storytelling Club. I hope Teresa Love shares the same inclinations and extends credit to her students in attending my premiere.

Unfortunately, the new instructor does not have an office at BYU despite also teaching TMA 352 "Theatre in Elementary School Classroom". I would have to wait to introduce myself. At least the Dean gave me her email.

The Dean then offered announcing my premiere in the TMAccess, a two-sided weekly newsletter for their students.

TMAccess included the following categories:
  • Department Notices
  • Department Calendar
  • Opportunities & Workshops (largest section)
  • Scholarships & Grants
  • Internships
  • Festivals, Conferences & Contests
  • Services & Commercial Information
  • Auditions
  • Events in the Area
Until I create a blurb, I am uncertain which category would be best for my premiere. You may think "Of course 'Events in the Area' would make the most sense."

Yet, there could be requests for artistic support such as:
  • Filmmaker who wants to build their portfolio
  • Actor who may want to do a short tandem piece in the premiere
  • Technician or Lights person who may guide in staging
These requests may fall under "Opportunities & Workshops" or "Festivals, Conferences & Contests" or "Auditions".

Once I learned about TMAccess, I wondered if the Visual Arts Department may have a similar newsletter or way to call-out to students.

So I walked a few doors over, and entered the Visual Arts Office. I learned that they post items on "Y Bulletin Boards". Requests can be placed on a piece of paper no larger than 8 1/2" by 11". The paper is hung for a two week period. Usually postings are made every Friday. If you want to have a request up for longer than two weeks, then you need to submit a new paper before the two weeks is up of the initial posting. I met the lady who reviews the requests and received her email.

I could announce the need for students' artwork to:
  • Assist in advertising of event through fliers, posters, etc.
  • Feature in the published book "Family Famine: Hunger for Love"
  • Display as part of a gallery before people sit down for the performance
All of the above could only be done with permission from the artists.

Any help from the cousin arts to storytelling is always appreciated.

Until we tell again,

Rachel Hedman
Professional Storyteller
Former Co-Chair of Youth, Educators, and Storytellers Alliance (2005-2008)
Tel: (801) 870-5799
Email: info@rachelhedman.com
Performance Blog: http://familyfamine.blogspot.com
Other places to find me: Twitter, YouTube, Facebook, LinkedIn, Professional Storyteller

No comments: