"Year of the Adopted Family" book release

Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Brainstorming and a List I Forgot I Had


The easiest way for me to be motivated about a program or even an individual story is to create the title. After finding a title that resonates with me, then I create a 30-60-word description.

Strangely, having a title and a 30-word description was the same requirement to be part of a lottery for the Fringe in connection with the 2006 National Storytelling Conference. I took this opportunity to figure out the now-called "Family Famine: Hunger for Love." When my name was not drawn for the Fringe, I put the project on hold. (You may notice a couple references to the Fringe or to deadlines throughout this blog entry.)

I have since decided that I can create my own event.

What to call this event? Though titles or descriptions may change as stories are chosen or another theme direction taken, the process seems to say "I am committed". With the commitment, I am ready for the storytelling adventure.

I forgot that back in 2005 I created a binder to throw in my ideas for the "Family Famine: Hunger for Love" narrative production. I found it today. More lists than expected were created so I will share one of them with you now.

Title/Concept Ideas (brainstorming):
Families: Eternally Ever After or The End
Family Fairytale: Ever After or The End
Family Fantasy: Ever After or The End
Do Families Exist?
Family Focus
Shaken Families
Family Physics: Every Action has an Equal or Opposite Reaction
Family Foul Play: Timeout!
Family Feuds
Parenting Nightmares
Abuse in the Home
Families of the Ages
Forever Families
Eternal Bonds
Beyond the Relationship
Family Fork in the Road: Ever After or The Dead End?
Eternally Ever After or Family Feuds
Eternally Ever After: Reality?
Eternally Ever After or Happy til Death
Eternally Ever After or The End--Families in Question
The End?--Families in Question
The End of Families. . .Or The Beginning
Family Weather Channel--Storm or Sunshine
Family Weather Report--Cloudy or Sunny
Family Forecast--Cloudy or Sunny
Happy Homes in all Shapes and Sizes
Homes Divided and Homes United
Scarred or Healed for Eternity
Eternal Courtship
No Place Like Home. . .Unless
Heaven Could Be Boring Without Families
Families Under Construction
Family Breakers and Creators
Family Famine: Hunger for Love

From the list above, I narrowed down to the titles I loved the best. I was at such a loss as to which one to choose. Appropriately enough, I turned to my family. I emailed or shared in-person the following request to my family, some storytelling friends, and a couple people in the position to hire me.

Basic Script when Requested People to Vote on Title:
I need your vote on your favorite title below. I am putting together an hour program focused on strong family relationships as well as the poor ones. Please respond quickly as the deadline to submit the title and 30-word description is Wednesday, November 30th. In fact, perhaps you can print a copy and show to others.

Family Physics: Every Action has an Equal or Opposite Reaction
Family life can be a fusion bomb upon the actions of abuse and abandonment. Rachel Hedman shares the nuclear energy of patience, humor, and unconditional love through multicultural tales.

Family Foul Play: Timeout!
Famly life can strike out when pitched abuse and abandonment. Rachel Hedman shares the victory of patience, humor, and unconditional love through multicultural tales.
Reasoning--Most families experience sports or Little League.
Possible Image--Umpire showing timeout signal

Family Fork in the Road: Ever After or The Dead End?
Family life can halt at the dead end of abandonment and abuse. Rachel Hedman shares the U-turn to the other road of patience, humor, and unconditional love through multicultural tales.
Reasoning--Perhaps growing up with "The Muppet Movie" did something for me.
Possible Image--Giant metal fork in the road and also Dead End sign

Family Fairytale: Ever After or The End?
Family life can be a curse when there is abandonment and abuse. Rachel Hedman shares how to uplift the spell through patience, humor, and unconditional love through multicultural tales.

Family Famine: Hunger for Love
Family life can starve when fed abuse and abandonment. Rachel Hedman shares the feast of patience, humor, and unconditional love through multicultural tales.
Reasoning--I thought of the spiritual famine that is mentioned in the scriptures.
Possible Image--An almost wooden empty bowl with a tiny oatmeal heart on the bottom with a spoon to the side

Which one(s) of the above titles stand out in your mind more? Why or why not?
***After sending the request, I received over 40 votes.

Some Responses to Titles in November 2005:
Professional Storyteller in UT--
"I like them because they are unique, clever and I love wordplay. I'm not actually that keen on physics or baseball, but I like that you matched the title and the description. Well put! (Cold fusion OR homerun, depending on your choice!)"

"I like the others as well, especially the 'Fork In the Road', but for some reason, these two struck me brightest. Maybe it was because they were first on your list--who knows? But maybe the (dead) end gives me just a little pause--I always think of someone who has dealt successfully with abuse as a 'transcender' even more than a survivor, but there is some personal bias there. My mother grew up in an abusive home and managed to break the cycle. But then again, offering a 'U-turn' is a wonderful image. I love the visual images each of your titles/descriptions evoke--good work there, too."

"Anyway, I think you've got some good stuff here--real attention getters--so whether or not the National Storytelling Network picks it up, definitely DO develop this program. I think it has REAL merit and much value."

Commenting after hearing from Professional Storyteller in OH--
Thank you for responding to the different titles. I was quite divided on what title I felt mirrored my thoughts for this program. Although I would like to share this program at the Fringe (if drawn), most of the audience may be LDS or be from the community such as libraries and colleges.

In the end, I have decided on "Family Famine: Hunger for Love." The "Family Fairytale: Ever After or The End?" was a very close second. Part of my decision was based on the fact that I don't plan to share this with kids under 12 and I am afraid that "fairytale" might give the wrong impression to some people. Although fun and humorous stories will be used, I have two serious stories on child abuse and abandonment. Nothing graphic but it's not meant to hold attention of kids in elementary.

I will have to keep "Family Fairytale: Ever After or The End" for a program open to any age or for a younger group. Storytellers can appreciate the title but I don't want to worry about changing the title for the same program.

Commenting after hearing from Librarian in CA
I am in process of developing a program that could be a circuit program for libraries as well as other places. It's called "Family Famine: Hunger for Love" and it's geared for 12-year-olds and up. Utah has a teen program through the library, too, so I plan to share this program with them when it's completed.

So now you understand a little more of the history of the title.

Until we tell again,

Rachel Hedman
Professional Storyteller
Co-Chair of Youth, Educators, and Storytellers Alliance
(801) 870-5799
info@rachelhedman.com
http://www.rachelhedman.com
How-To Blog: http://storytellingadventures.blogspot.com
Performance Blog: http://familyfamine.blogspot.com

No comments: